The Midland Hotel Manchester
The Midland is one of Manchester's most popular event venues and has a larger capacity than many other local venues with the Alexandra Suite being able to cater for 700 delegates in a theatre layout.
Key information for event organisers & production companies
- Total of 14 meeting rooms
- Very central location near to Manchester Central / GMEX
- Free WiFi and the ability to have your own internet connectivity delivered if required
- ISDN connections available in all meeting rooms
- 312 bedrooms available
- Nearby NCP parking available
- Natural daylight in most meeting rooms.
The Alexandra Suite
The Alexandra Suite is the main conference and banqueting space at The Midland with a maximum capacity of 700 delegates theatre style.
The Alexandra can be divided into two smaller rooms, The Alexandra Suite A and The Alexandra Suite B with maximum capacities of 250 and 350 theatre style respectively.
- Be aware that the quoted capacities quickly reduce once you add in staging or a conference set. We've worked out some ways to minimise the capacity reduction but you should work closely with your preferred audio visual supplier to ensure that your AV and staging design makes the most of the space.
- The access for deliveries is much better than it first appears but be aware of how quick the traffic wardens are! We've been caught out more than once.
AV & Staging Recommendations
We've helped clients who have chosen The Midland as their venue for conferences, fashion shows, charity dinners and awards ceremonies. From our experience of working in The Alexandra Suite here are our key audio visual and staging recommendations:
- The walls of The Alenxandra Suite are quite plain as is standard for most hotel event spaces and so we strongly recommend using LED Uplighters or gobo projections to bring the venue to life.
- There is the ability to fly (suspend AV equipment from the ceiling) in The Alexandra Suite and we have used this facility in the past to reduce the amount of floor space taken up by stands for AV equipment. Although this means setting up takes a little longer, the overall effect of any lighting is significantly improved as is the quality of sound. It also opens up the option to fly plasma screens to act as repeater screens (we would recommend 42" screens for this purpose).
- Whilst the height of the Alexandra suite is quoted as being 4.06m in the venue's capacity charts there are a number of areas in which there are significant drops in ceiling height. You can make a 12ft stage set work in the space but it needs to be in exactly the right position so that this into account when designing your stage set.
- A single 12ft projection screen (or two 8ft screens if there is not significant amounts of detail in any presentation sides) is ideal in The Alexandra. This can be complemented by repeater screens (minimum 60" LED or Plasma Screens) for medical conferences or events where on-screen, detailed statistics or diagrams are vital.
- Sound systems can be flown (suspended from the ceiling) or installed on stands at the side of the room. Either option works well but you will want ned to ask your AV supplier for a minimum of a 6 speaker PA system to ensure good even coverage of sound for speeches.
The Trafford Suite
The Trafford Suite is the second largest of The Midland's event spaces with a theatre-layout capacity of 240 or space for 180 guests for a dinner or awards ceremony.
The Trafford suite is particularly popular for smaller gala dinners, wedding breakfasts and parties. Unless you particularly want a conference stage set, the room itself provides the perfect backdrop to most events and can easily be customised using creative lighting.
If you're planning an event in The Trafford Suite, LED Uplighters are almost essential. Even if you think you don't want to add any colour to the space, you can always light the plaster work in a soft Amber which really brings the space to life. Remember to ask your lighting hire or AV company to supply some wireless up lighters as well as any cabled ones in order to ensure a neat set up (especially around the central pillars).
If you are planning a conference, awards ceremony or other event that needs slides or videos to be shown, we recommend using between 4 and 8 60" plasma screens rather than traditional projection. This helps your AV equipment to blend into the room rather than taking over the whole design.
Of course, you can incorporate a stage, lectern and any other equipment required for your event but you will need to consider hiring this in from a local audio visual hire company.
Meeting Rooms at The Midland
The other event spaces available in The Midland make excellent break out spaces for workshops or smaller seminars during conferences. They are also ideal for executive meetings or other smaller functions. A number of the rooms can be combined to create capacities of up to 90 delegates in a theatre layout.